Dealing with sore, achy heels? Here’s what you can do about it.
From wearing those towering high heels to standing on your feet all day, there is definitely a myriad of reasons why someone could deal with aching feet. Just as there are many reasons for your pain our Louisville, KY, podiatrist can also give you a boatload of remedies and treatment options. Are you dealing with plantar fasciitis? Here’s how to tell:
- A sharp or stabbing pain at the bottom of the foot
- Pain that radiates to the arches of the foot
- Pain that is worse first thing in the morning or when first standing up
While plantar fasciitis can often be managed through simple home care, it’s important to see your Louisville, KY, podiatrist if:
- You are dealing with severe pain or swelling
- You have trouble walking or putting weight on the affected foot
- Your pain doesn’t respond to home care within 5 days
- Your symptoms get worse
- You develop numbness, tingling, or weakness in the heel
- You’ve also been diagnosed with diabetes and you suspect that you have plantar fasciitis
We also offer virtual appointments so that you can discuss your symptoms with us and we can help you create a treatment plan to ease symptoms from the comfort of your own home. If you want to seek professional advice on how to handle your heel pain but you don’t want to come to the office, then a simple telehealth visit may be better for you.
Here are some easy ways to help manage your plantar fasciitis until the inflamed tissue has fully healed:
- Rest as much as possible and avoid exercises that could exacerbate your symptoms (e.g. running)
- Ice your heel for 15-20 minutes at a time, 2-3 times a day
- Ease the pain with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. ibuprofen)
- Wrap or brace the foot, especially when sleeping, to support the arches and to reduce morning stiffness
- Wear protective and supportive shoes at all times
- Stretch your feet several times a day, incorporating approved exercises by your Louisville podiatrist into your daily routine to alleviate plantar fasciitis-related pain
The podiatrists at Kentucky/Indiana Foot and Ankle Specialists are happy to provide care to children and adults living in New Albany, Louisville, Elizabethtown, Bardstown, and Bowling Green. If you are dealing with heel pain or other foot problems, schedule an appointment with one of our podiatrists today by calling (844) 692-3338.